Game suggestion:

Yo! Get da skinny on da latest crazy-large LAN party dat be goin down at Jobu's crib (or elsewhere). Suggest new games, post blueprints for yo' foodcart, or provide any otha' vital info. What it is mama!

Moderator: Gomer

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Game suggestion:

Post by Asshander » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:01 am

GTA! Rockstar put the OG GTA on their site for free, updated to work with snazzy-fast machines, but it's not going fast enough for me to download before work, and I'm not gonna leave this beast on unattended while I slave away.

So, if you can grab it at work Dale and put it on a CD, or some such, that'd be spiffy. Otherwise, maybe we could try and download it over night if anyone wants to give it a try.

Just an idea....

http://63.236.94.8/rockstar/classics/index.php

Of note, it's about 350 or so megs, I think.

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:09 am

SOF2 looks pretty damn spiffy as well. Would recommend checkin that out...

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:19 pm

I'm yet to talk to anyone that likes that game. Everyone says it's nowhere near as good as the first, and is actually a bit crappy.

It received generally "ok" reviews from the reviewing folk on the web. Battlefield 1942 has gotten good reviews, but I'm a little burned out on the whole WWII scene.

Speaking of which, I keep forgetting to see whatever has become of the expansion for Wolf....

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:56 am

My roommate bought SOF2, so I got to play it a bit on his computer. That game is pretty badass. One of the better FPS out there. Ive also heard very good things about Battlefield 1942 as well. And I still want my pimp helicopter game..

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:07 am

Ya know, I was just lookin at Blue's (bluesnews.com) today and a game that just went gold, Devastation, looks pretty interesting. It's yet another shooter, but it looks like it has some realism despite being slightly futuristic (50 or so years, so nothing extreme).

Aside from this game, I've still not seen anything new that looks like it might be particularly exciting.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:43 am

No new worthwhile RPGs or Adventure-type games on the horizon&#63 That's what we really need if we want any hope of resurrecting our once magnificent LAN experience. We already have a new shooter - UT2003 is definately fun, but we're bound to get burned out on the FPS types over the course of a weekend without some sort of RPG intermediary. That's why BG2 worked out so well, it seemed the perfect compliment to our homicidal FPS tendencies.

Just a quick mention of things that were cool about this recent impromptu LAN:

1) Bombing Run - The new UT2003 gametype worked really well IMO. Different enough from CTF to be enjoyable for more than 10 minutes, and new maps to boot. Can't wait for a bonus pack or something to come out and add to the excellent map list they already supply with the game.

2) 4-way Rune Headball - Um, why in the <b>FUCK</b> did we not try this before&#63 After reviewing the various 4 team headball maps, it turns out there are several that aren't too big for 4 individuals. The one map we fired up a test run on was fucking INSANITY. I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun, and woulda probably worked out better if the "Auto-pickup heads" option was on like we normally play. Still a blast...

Still, there's really nothing for us to break the monotony of the FPS experience anymore. Maybe we should try firing up BG1 or something. Or reinstall the original Diablo. Fuck, I don't know.

Did anyone ever grab the new and improved OG GTA&#63 I think that would be worth a shot.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:45 am

Bombing run was definitely cool, and the 4 way headball woulda been bomb if the auto-pickup was on (the only time it's good, I think). Although that map was a bit cramped, but there was no lack of action. Not at all.

Well, there's always Diablo or Diablo 2. They've been sitting around here for ages. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's (both of them) a fun game in multi, much more so than in single. Where you do you think BioWare got the gameplay for NWN from&#63

I have the OG GTA, but I've not installed it yet. Was thinking of doing so tonight before The Shield, or maybe tomorrow after work.

I checked out gamefaqs's list of upcoming games, and there's nothing there that looked real good for a LAN party. One or two I was kind of interested in, but that's going on little info. The list only went to the end of the month, and gonegold's list did so as well, so I'm not sure what's "planned" for next month or May or what have you.

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:18 am

Whenever Halo for the Pc comes out it will be good for multiplaying. Also a great single player game. I have played through it several time on the xbox. Just imagine being able to run over each other. Maybe we wil be able to figure out how to launch the vehicles in the air like the demo discs. This is the best game so far to come out on the xbox. It will be a change from Ut2003. Supposed to come out some time this summer.

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:25 am

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:38 am

I can remember back in the yonder years of 99 or so when Halo was supposed to come out...and then it was delayed...and delayed...and then decided to come out only on Xbox (was scheduled for everything under the sun and couch). Glad to hear they're finally gonna bring it out for PC. Bout fucking time.

Before I touch on Dungeon Siege, lemme note that some people have made a "mod" for GTA3 to work in mutliplayer. It's still in early form, but that could be interesting.

Now, Dungeon Siege. As you all know, Chris Taylor, the main cat responsible for the bombest of bomb RTS (just nod and smile) Total Annihilation, is the guy responsible for this game. Considering how smart this motherfucker is when it comes to streamlining a game and removing the shit that sucks, I was disappointed in the game. Admittedly, I played through it for about 7 or 8 levels only (char levels, not levels of the game), but part of my problem with it is that it ran kinda sucky on my machine. It was very playable, but it could be a dog.

Basically, it's Diablo in 3d. One of the cool things about it though is you don't pick a class so much as you build it. Every time you shoot a bow or swing a sword or cast a spell (different types, no less), you gain a little bit of experience in that "class" type. So, the more you swing a sword or axe or club, the better fighter you will be. And of course you can stop and cast spells and get mage or cleric type levels as well. There's really only 4 "class" types from what I remember, but having that sort of control was kind of nice.

I'd be willing to play it multi, becuase it seems a little like Diablo in that it'd be more enjoyable playing with people (isn't that the case with most games), especially since you wouldn't have to rely on the computer to move your NPCs around.

And one plus the game has, you can hire a mule (literally) to carry shit around for you. Extra inventory rules.

Anyhow, graphically it's pretty good, but, I was having problems getting into it. I think after playing it I still preferred Diablo 2.

Which reminds me there's a really good mod for D2 called "Eastern Sun" that's a shitload of fun to play. Adds a lot of crap to it and just makes it more enjoyable. Can make it harder/easier on the fly, etc.

And on a final note, Epic released their Bonus Pack for UT2003 today. The one we have going is the Digital Extremes pack. This new pack adds 10 maps, 3 gametypes, and a variety of other things. I'm fairly sure info should be at http://www.unrealtournament2003.com. Ill be grabbing it and giving it a go later. "Mutant" sounds a bit like Hunt the Goat, only with some extra shit going on. I think that'll be a blast.